Onam 2019 Date, Thiruvonam Date
The festival honours the appearance of Vamana avatar of Vishnu and the home coming of the legendary King Mahabali. Onam celebrates the Asura King Mahabali's annual visit from Patala Lok, the lok that is considered to be under Earth. It is believed that Asura King Mahabali visits every Malayali home to meet people on Thiruvonam day. Onam celebrations start on Atham day (the day when Atham Nakshatra prevails) and continue for 10 days till Thiruvonam day. Atham Nakshatra is known as Hasta Nakshatra in other Hindu Calendars.
Onam Word Meaning
Onam Festival Origin
The Great HomeComing of MahaBali
It is believed that this has happened during the Thiruvonam nakshatram day in Malayalam month Chingam and thus it is celebrated as Onam. Some people also believe that Thiruvonam is the birth star or janma nakshatram of Vishnu and King Bali was therefore permitted to visit on this day.
One belief also states that even before Onam became a festival, the day was celebrated in the Vamana Temple in Thrikkakara. Vamana murti was installed here on this day.
Thiruvonam. Pookalam consists of ten small round steps which symbolises ten different Hindu deities. Floral carpet symbolically represents the fight between Asuras and Devas.
There is only a single ring on the Atham day, the next day of Chithira there will be two rings and so on. On the Thiruvonam day there will be 10 rings. Only a single color flower is used on the first day, two colors on second day and 10 different colors on the last day.
First step is Ganesha, second is Shiva and Shakti, third is Shiva, fourth is Brahma, fifth is Pancha Boothangal, sixth is for Shanmughan or Muruga, seventh step is for Guru, eighth step is for ashta digpalakar, ninth is for Indra and tenth is for Lord Vishnu.
Onam Festival Dates
|Onam 2019 Date||11th September, Wednesday|
|Onam 2020 Date||31st August, Monday|
|Onam 2021 Date||21st August, Saturday|
|Onam 2022 Date||8th September, Thursday|
|Onam 2023 Date||29th August, Tuesday|
|Onam 2024 Date||15th September, Sunday|
|Onam 2025 Date||5th September, Friday|
Onam 2019 Calendar
|Onam Day 1||1st September 2019||Atthachamaym, Athapoo Pookalam|
|Onam Day 2||2nd September 2019||Chithira Day|
|Onam Day 3||3rd September 2019||Chodhi Day|
|Onam Day 4||4th September 2019||Vishakham Day|
|Onam Day 5||5th September 2019||Anizham Day, Vallam Kali|
|Onam Day 6||6th September 2019||Thriketa Day|
|Onam Day 7||7th September 2019||Moolam Day, Onam Sadya Puli Kali, Kaikotti Kali|
|Onam Day 8||8th September 2019||Pooradam Day, Onathappan|
|Onam Day 9||9th September 2019||Pooradam|
|Onam Day 10||10th September 2019||Uthradom Day, First Onam Uthradappachil|
|Onam Day 11||11th September 2019||Thiruvonam Day, Second Onam Thiru-Onam, Onam|
|Onam Day 12||12th September 2019||Avvittom Day, Third Onam Thrissur Pulikali|
|Onam Day 13||13th September 2019||Chatayam Day, Fourth Onam|
Onam Wishes in English and Malayalam
1. May God bless you, and the color & lights of Onam fill your home with happiness and joy. HAVE A HAPPY ONAM 2019
2. The Onam Celebration is an occasion for people to remind themselves of the all-pervasive nature of the divine. I wish all your family members and especially you, A Happy Onam & Tiruonam!
3. Onam is the time for pookkalam on the floor; children on swings; tiger clad men with hunters behind them; people enjoying sadyas with family. Let this Onam bring Joy and Prosperity to all. Happy Onam!
4. Let this Onam bring Joy and prosperity to you and your loved ones. I wish a Happy Onam to you and your family.
5. As Kerala welcomes our dear King, I wish you an Onam, filled with Happiness and Joy My heartfelt Onashamsakal.
6. Hope This ONAM Brings In Good Fortune & Abounding Happiness To You! Wish You And Your Family A Frivolous ONAM! Happy ONAM!
7. Nilavilakkum Niraparayum..Pinne orupidi thumba poovum. Manasil orupaadu snehavumayi veendum oru PON-ONAM varavaye. Oraayiram Onaasamsakal!
8. Ella Malayalikalkum nhangalude Onashamsakal.
9. Shehathindeyum Aishwaryathindeyum Sambalsamrudhiyodeyum Orayiram “Ponnonashamsakal.”
10. Nilavilakinte Parishudhiyum, Tumbapoovinte Nairmalyavumai, Varunna Ponnin Chinga Masathile Ponnonatte Varavelkan Niranja Snehathode Ende ONAM Ashamsagal.
11. May the colour and lights of Onam fill your home with happiness and joy. My heartfelt wishes on Onam Happy!
12. Onam brings with it the promise of abundance, happiness and prosperity, so may your life be filled with goodness and may all cares and worries fade away!
13. Onam is the time for poookalam on floor, children on swings, tiger clad men with hunters behind them. People enjoying sadhyas with family. May this Onam bring joy and prosperity to all.
14. May this festival of Onam be a harbinger of cheer, Good luck, peace and prosperity, that lasts a whole year. Wish you a Happy Onam!
15. This Onam may you be showered with Good luck, prosperity and happiness, have a wonderful Onam