Onam 2020 Date, Thiruvonam Date
The festival honours the appearance of Vamana avatar of Vishnu and the home coming of the legendary King Mahabali. Onam celebrates the Asura King Mahabali's annual visit from Patala Lok, the lok that is considered to be under Earth. It is believed that Asura King Mahabali visits every Malayali home to meet people on Thiruvonam day. Onam celebrations start on Atham day (the day when Atham Nakshatra prevails) and continue for 10 days till Thiruvonam day. Atham Nakshatra is known as Hasta Nakshatra in other Hindu Calendars. The first day of Onam is popularly known as Atthachamayam day. Post Thiruvonam day, Onam celebrations continue for another two days which means Onam is a twelve days long festival.Onam state holidays start one day before and end after two days of main Thiruvonam day. The holidays are named first Onam, second Onam, third Onam and fourth Onam where the second Onam is the most important day of four days holidays.
Onam Word MeaningThe word ‘Onam’ or ‘Thiruvonam’ is derived from the Sanskrit word ‘Shravanam.’ Thiruvonam is one among the 27 nakshatras or constellations. The passage of time made the word Shravanam becoming Onam in today's time. The word ‘Thiru’ means the places and activities associated with Lord Vishnu in South India. Thiruvonam is the Nakshatra of Lord Vishnu, who appeared as Vamana to push Mahabali into Pathalam.
Onam Festival Origin
The Great HomeComing of MahaBaliMahabali did not took much time to know that Vamana is none other than Narayana. He bowed in front of Narayana and asked him to place the third step on his head. Sri Vishnu was impressed by the great humbleness of Bali. He asked Bali of a boon. Thus Maveli said – that he be allowed to visit his beloved people on earth every year. And this annual visit by MahaBali is Onam, when MahaBali the great king of Kerala comes to visit his land.
It is believed that this has happened during the Thiruvonam nakshatram day in Malayalam month Chingam and thus it is celebrated as Onam. Some people also believe that Thiruvonam is the birth star or janma nakshatram of Vishnu and King Bali was therefore permitted to visit on this day.
One belief also states that even before Onam became a festival, the day was celebrated in the Vamana Temple in Thrikkakara. Vamana murti was installed here on this day.
There is only a single ring on the Atham day, the next day of Chithira there will be two rings and so on. On the Thiruvonam day there will be 10 rings. Only a single color flower is used on the first day, two colors on second day and 10 different colors on the last day.
First step is Ganesha, second is Shiva and Shakti, third is Shiva, fourth is Brahma, fifth is Pancha Boothangal, sixth is for Shanmughan or Muruga, seventh step is for Guru, eighth step is for ashta digpalakar, ninth is for Indra and tenth is for Lord Vishnu.
Onam Festival Dates
Onam 2020 Date - 31st August, Monday
Onam 2020 Calendar
Here you can find Onam 2020 Calendar:
|Onam Day 1||22nd August 2020||Atthachamayam, Athapoo Pookalam|
|Onam Day 2||23rd August 2020||Chithira Day|
|Onam Day 3||24th August 2020||Chodhi Day|
|Onam Day 4||25th August 2020||Vishakham Day|
|Onam Day 5||26th August 2020||Anizham Day, Vallam Kali|
|Onam Day 6||27th August 2020||Thriketa Day|
|Onam Day 7||28th August 2020||Moolam Day, Onam Sadya Puli Kali, Kaikotti Kali|
|Onam Day 8||29th August 2020||Pooradam Day, Onathappan|
|Onam Day 9||30th August 2020||Uthradom Day, First Onam Uthradappachil|
|Onam Day 10||31st August 2020||Thiruvonam Day, Second Onam Thiru-Onam, Onam|
|Onam Day 11||1st September 2020||Avvittom Day, Third Onam Thrissur Pulikali|
|Onam Day 12||2nd September 2020||Chatayam Day, Fourth Onam|
Onam Wishes in English and Malayalam1. May God bless you, and the color & lights of Onam fill your home with happiness and joy. HAVE A HAPPY ONAM 2020
2. The Onam Celebration is an occasion for people to remind themselves of the all-pervasive nature of the divine. I wish all your family members and especially you, A Happy Onam & Tiruonam!
3. Onam is the time for pookkalam on the floor; children on swings; tiger clad men with hunters behind them; people enjoying sadyas with family. Let this Onam bring Joy and Prosperity to all. Happy Onam!
4. Let this Onam bring Joy and prosperity to you and your loved ones. I wish a Happy Onam to you and your family.
5. As Kerala welcomes our dear King, I wish you an Onam, filled with Happiness and Joy My heartfelt Onashamsakal.
6. Hope This ONAM Brings In Good Fortune & Abounding Happiness To You! Wish You And Your Family A Frivolous ONAM! Happy ONAM!
7. Nilavilakkum Niraparayum..Pinne orupidi thumba poovum. Manasil orupaadu snehavumayi veendum oru PON-ONAM varavaye. Oraayiram Onaasamsakal!
8. Ella Malayalikalkum nhangalude Onashamsakal.
9. Shehathindeyum Aishwaryathindeyum Sambalsamrudhiyodeyum Orayiram “Ponnonashamsakal.”
10. Nilavilakinte Parishudhiyum, Tumbapoovinte Nairmalyavumai, Varunna Ponnin Chinga Masathile Ponnonatte Varavelkan Niranja Snehathode Ende ONAM Ashamsagal.
11. May the colour and lights of Onam fill your home with happiness and joy. My heartfelt wishes on Onam Happy!
12. Onam brings with it the promise of abundance, happiness and prosperity, so may your life be filled with goodness and may all cares and worries fade away!
13. Onam is the time for poookalam on floor, children on swings, tiger clad men with hunters behind them. People enjoying sadhyas with family. May this Onam bring joy and prosperity to all.
14. May this festival of Onam be a harbinger of cheer, Good luck, peace and prosperity, that lasts a whole year. Wish you a Happy Onam!
15. This Onam may you be showered with Good luck, prosperity and happiness, have a wonderful Onam