Nirjala Ekadashi Date - 13th June 2019 (Thursday)
Nirjala Ekadashi Date in 2019 - 13th June 2019
Nirjala Ekadashi is the most important and sacred Ekadashi among all the twenty four Ekadashis that comes in a year. Nirjala means without water and Nirjala Ekadashi fasting is observed without any food or water. As this fasting is Nirjala Ekadashi Vratam, it is the toughest among all Ekadashi's of the year due to a strict fasting rules. Nirjala Ekadashi and also all the Ekadashi's are dedicated to Lord Vishnu. While observing Nirjala Ekadashi fast, Vishnu devotees do not take food as well as water the whole day and the fast is only over the next day after ekadashi.
Nirjala Ekadashi Fast 2019
Nirjala Ekadashi/Bhima/Pandava Ekadashi
Nirjala Ekadashi is also known as Pandava Ekadashi or Bhimseni or Bhima Ekadashi because of the legend associated with Pandavas and particularly Bhim. Bhimsen, the second brother among Pandava's could not control having food and thus was not able observe the strict Ekadashi fasting. All Pandava's Yudhishthir, Arjuna, Nakul and Shahdeva, along with their wife Draupadi and mother Kunti except Bhim observed all Ekadashi fasting of the year. Due to this, Bhima, got upset and thought that he was disrespecting Lord Vishnu. Bhima then went to met Sage Maharishi Vyasa for his advises and getting answers to his problem. Then Vyasa rishi suggested Bhima to observe the single Nirjala Ekadasi fasting and thus it acted as the compensation for not observing all Ekadashi's of the year. Thus, Nirjala Ekadashi also came to known as Bhimseni Ekadashi or Pandava Ekadashi.
Nirjala Ekadashi Importance/Significance of Nirjala Ekadashi
Nirjala Ekadashi fasting falls on Shukla Paksha of Jyeshtha month particularly in month of May or June. Nirjala Ekadashi falls just after the Ganga Dussehra (which is the appearance or coming up of Maa Ganga on earth on this day). It is also possible that Ganga Dussehra and Nirjala Ekadashi might occur on the same day.
Rules of Ekadashi/Nirjala Ekadashi Fasting
Things you can Do on Nirjala Ekadasi
- Offer prayers to Lord Vishnu early in the morning and also the whole day.
- Listen to Bhagavad Purana or chanting bhajans dedicated to Lord Vishnu
- Light a diya in front of Lord Vishnu and offer Tulsi leaves and flowers.
- Observe a waterless fast for the whole day. If not able to fast the whole day without water, then one can take fruits and tea, milk, water but should not eat salt and "atta" or wheat.
- Prepare Panchamrita, a mixture of five foods: milk, curd, ghee, honey and sugar and offer to Lord Vishnu.
- Donate food grains, clothes, fruits, milk, umbrellas, hand-fans, matakas filled with water, to Brahmins.
- Next morning, after bath, donate food, fruits, sherbet, water, milk, clothes etc. and then break fast by drinking water.