When is Dhanteras?
Dhanteras Date - 17th October 2017 (Tuesday)
The day is of great importance to business community and homes. Houses are decorated and special rangolis are drawn on the floor. Small foot prints, symbolizing Goddess Lakshmi, are made on the floor of homes. The day is also dedicated to Dhanavantri God, the divine physician, and therefore special Dhanvantari Puja is held on the day. People also worship Kuber God.
Yamadeepdan is also observed on the day. Diyas (lamps) are lit all night and these lamps are dedicated to Yam or Yamraj, the god of death. In some regions, lamps are lit for the ancestors and floated down a river or pond on the day.
Things you must do on Dhanteras:
1. You must donate (daan) to the needy.
2. You must buy anything silver, a silver coin etc.
3. You must buy a steel glass in which water can be dranked.
4. For good growth in Business, buy a metal diya.
5. For security of your health and life - buy a metal small bell.
6. For happiness and peace in family - buy a steel bartan for in which food can be made like a cooker or fry pan etc.
7. If you are facing problems in having kids or for any children related problems - buy a steel plate and a katori on this day of dhanteras. Prepare kheer on the day of Diwali and offer to Goddess Lakshmi in this Katori and plate.
Best time for worshipping Lord Dhanvantari and Lord Kuber today on Dhanteras is from 6:50 PM to 8:45 PM. This is also the same time for Shopping on Dhanteras as well.