Jaya Ekadashi 2018, Importance of Jaya Ekadashi, Bhishma Ekadasi 2018 Date
Jaya Ekadashi 2018: Legend of Jaya Ekadashi
Both of them visited Lord Indra and bowed down. It was a surprise for Lord Indra and when he came to know about Vishnu's blessings, Indra also bowed down to both of them. Lord Indra said, that he himself would bow down to any person who fast on this day of Jaya Ekadashi as the both of them did.
So, the rewards for oberving the Jaya Ekadasi or Bhishma Ekadashi/ Bheeshma Ekadashi fast with full dedication and devotion are far superior than performing various donations, yagnas and any visits to pilgrimages (tirthyatra).
Importance/Significance of Jaya Ekadashi/Bhishma Ekadashi
The following is an extract from the Skanda Puran:-
Lord Sri Krishna said, “I shall tell you about Jaya Ekadashi. This Ekadashi obliterates all kinds of sinful reactions and demoniac influences that may be affecting the spirit soul. It is known as Jaya Ekadashi, and the fortunate soul who observes a fast on this sacred day is relieved of the great burden of ghostly existence.
Thus there is no better Ekadashi than this, for it truly bestows freedom from birth and death. It is to be honored very carefully and diligently. Therefore one should strictly observe a fast on the sacred day of Lord Hari, especially on this Jaya Ekadashi. A great soul who observes this fast with full faith and devotion has in effect given all kinds of charity, performed all kinds of sacrifice, and bathed in all the Holy places of pilgrimage.
Fasting on Jaya Ekadashi qualifies one to reside in Vaikuntha and enjoy unending happiness for billions of yugas – indeed, forever, as the soul is eternal. One who even hears or reads these wonderful glories of Jaya Ekadashi achieves the blessed merit attained by performing an Agni fire sacrifice - Havan, during which the hymns from the Sama-veda are recited.”
Bhishma Ekadasi or Bheeshma Ekadashi
This time of the Magh month (Feburary month) has various important days dedicated to Bhishma namely Bhishma Ashtami, Bhisma Dwadasi and Bhishma Ekadasi. It is understood that Bhishma Pitamah chose this Magh month this particular time to leave his body, as he was given the boon of "ichha mritu" or self-chosen death.
It is also believed that if you listen to the 1000 names of Lord Vishnu or Vishnu Sahasranama Stothram leads oneself to Moksha.
How to observe Jaya Ekadashi Fast?
- Bath in the morning, before sunrise (if possible)
- Then worship and offer prayers to Shiva and Vishnu.
- It is highly recommended to take only fruits, milk, tea on this day of ekadashi if not able to fast without even taking water
- Avoid taking any grains, cereals, vegetables, breads.
- Eating rice and non-vegetarian food is a strict no.
- Recite and chant the Shiva and Vishnu mantra's and aarti's.
- It is mentioned in the "Shastra's" not to sleep during the night of Ekadashi and worship Lord Vishnu the whole night.
- Each Ekadshi vrat starts from the ‘dashami’ tithi (10th day) and it is often said not to eat the last meal (dinner) on the day before ekadashi.
- Each Ekadashi fast gets completed after the sunrise of ‘dwadashi’ tithi (12th day).
- Do not apply oil on the body on the day of ekadashi.
Jaya Ekadashi 2018 Date & Time
Alternate Jaya Ekadashi = 28/01/2018
On 29th, Parana Time for Alternate Ekadashi = 07:15 to 09:22
On Parana Day Dwadashi would be over before Sunrise
Jaya Ekadashi 2019 Date & Time will be updated soon.
Next Ekadashi Day is Vijaya Ekadashi on 11th February 2018.